Wednesday 22 February 2012

Film Noir Poster

Next in class we were set to make and design a poster for a film noir. I gathered some images together of film noir posters and film noir characters (some I have shown on the left) to gain inspration and ideas for my own poster.
I really liked the idea of having the femme fatale in the forefront of the poster and leaving the men to the backdrop. I wanted to do this because classically the femme fatale manipulates the male so I liked the idea of showing this through the poster. Also there is a lot of red text and dark lighting used so I wanted to encorperate this into my poster.
I have included my stages of designing my poster below. It took me four stages before I decided on my final one. My initial basis for the poster was to have the two women in the forefront and the man in the middle but further back. I decided I wanted one female to be the clear femme fatale but the other to have hints of the strong independance but not fully. I made sure I have shown this by putting the femme fatale in a low cut red dress and red lipstick and then the other woman in a angelic white dress but with the contrast of a red scarf around her neck, still showing a slight plunge neck and red lipstick. I also put the man in a brown smart suit wearing a hat so he looked sophisticated. Behind the man is an image of some skyrise building like ones you would get in a city, I wanted it to be quite dark and the lights from these buildings showing up.
I also decided that I wanted the title bang across the middle of the two women like it had been plastered onto the page as if someone was to shout it. I also chose to put the actors names along the top above the man and inbetween the woman as they are less important and doesn't need to be as obvious as the title. Underneath the title 'Double Take' I have included the words 'from Warner Bros.' as this is the production company I would want to use. I did this writing like it was being shot out of a gun. Next to this is the age rating of the film, I put it as a 15 as I felt an 18 would be more graphic and rude but this wasn't going to be like that.
Overall I am happy with the way my poster has come out, I think setting it out with the stages of development next to each other really helped me with what I wanted to change and what I needed to change so the poster would look even better than my first draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment